Thursday 3 September 2009

156 & M4P2

From my boat I can see your house but now the lights are off and there's no one home. How do you know for sure that there's actually no one home? I turn my lights off all the time. Energy saving purposes. And mood setting obviously. But mostly energy saving purposes, it's true. The amount of electricity that my computer have burnt the last five years would probably be frightful.

But thanks to my computer, which over the years have grown, evolved and derailed many conversations, I've also been able to make tons of contacts that will last me a lifetime. A certain ice princess, cool and cold, introduced me to Mew and they have both been great to me over the years. An amateur World of Warcraft-movie featuring Nefarian and Praemium Callidus ( an Alliance guild on EU-Magtheridon, if I remember correctly) introduced me to The Killers through Mr. Brightside. It's quite amazing the amount of music I've picked up from WoW-movies. I suppose if I had not played that game at all, I would've picked up the same amount of music from other sources. I do wonder how though, because I've never been a fan of radio or TV. And let's face it, the diversity of the music playing in clubs and at most parties I've had the pleasure of attending isn't exactly staggering.

Thanks to my friend the tech-store guy I've picked up things like Paramore and Sonata Arctica, but it's only really Tallulah that appeals to me from the latter band, the soft ballad-like piano-smooching fits me perfectly, while most proper metal really puts me down a notch or two. Together we went through an extensive alternative rock-phase. Alternative rock which I believe later got better known as emo rock, a rather negative term, but not all that misleading. Thank zut for breakthrough of indie-rock that followed, rolling out the definition dough quite a bit, leveling the music experience to something cool rather than wristcutty. Death Cab For Cutie, stellastarr* and The Bravery all guided me through the mellows with great success, but they're only a few in a deep pot full of different sounds I spent most of my college time soundtracking my life with.

A few other computer games also helped me finding new influences over the years, such as Max Payne, who by employing Poets of the Fall got to use the song Late Goodbye as credit theme. It was an extremely powerful ending to an excellent storyline which summed up to an experience to remember. I realised "Just a game" was a dead term by now, and my feeling got reinforced many times thereafter, especially when finishing Mass Effect which exploded in perfection by the song M4 Part II performed by Faunts, a work of art that made the futuristic space adventure complete.

There really is no reality I can think of where music does not help enhancing our experiences immensely. Least of all our own. So continue fusing memories with music, associate and make contact with new people and new experiences, and label it by the sounds, categorize it by feeling.

[ link ]

No comments:

Post a Comment